11.10.2008

pocketful of sunshine

after making my royal blog decree (see the last post), i was tempted to list my top 10 most played songs on my ipod and interpret what that means about me.
but i decided against this after i realized many of these songs are slightly embarrassing and could possibly reveal more about my character than i wish people to know.

instead, i have decided to rant about my creepiness. wait--let's put that in quotations. "creepiness." i say it in quotations because i personally do not think i am creepy. but it has come to my attention that other people might get the creepy drift coming from me. be aware, however, that this realization has not come suddenly. i have been aware of people's curiosity towards my obsessions for quite some time now, but never felt encouraged to address it until last night.
you see, last night i was talking with one of my avid fans: my mother. i was giving her the usual update on my college life, and told her about a job i recently got working at the library. i explained that i was surprised i even got the job in the first place because half the time i was explaining to my supervisors my obsession with serial killers.

one of the people interviewing me said, "you mean, like jack the ripper?"
and my hand flew to my heart and i exclaimed, "oh yes, he's one of my favorites!"

i never would have given that a second thought, but my mom burst out laughing and said i was weird. (speaking of which, "weird" is a strange word. i think it means something different to everyone who uses it.)

serial killers! vampires! gothic horror and medieval torture! voodoo, paganism, cannibals and witchcraft! you name it, i've either read, watched or listened to it. as louise durham, the infamous AP english teacher at my high school would say, i have a "fascination with the abomination."
i don't know why i get such a kick out of reading about john wayne gacy the "killer clown" whose victims were little boys. or vlad tepes III, the inspiration of dracula who loved to impale his not-so-loyal subjects.
but while we're on the subject of dracula, let's discuss my recent loss of interest in vampires. one word/book: twilight.
LAMEness to the maximum.
real vampires are NOT like edward cullen, i tell you that much.

but back to the point: what i tell people over and over, is that i'm "only creepy on the inside." i'm not like one of those crazies who go walzing around town in a black trench coat or has an ugly emo haircut.

so even though my favorite movies include man-eating plants and murderous demons, i am a normal person. i promise.
in fact, i'm scared of things: dinosaus, aliens, bears, baldness, and loving someone who doesn't love me back. (gone with the wind? i cried like a baby. my worst fear.)

but i only appreciate tasteful horror, murder and superstition. for example, tim burton. genius. but hardcore punk, scream-o gothic heavy metal music? nooooo, sir.

6 comments:

Drew said...

Ok. So I was just about to text you and ask you what the dealio was about the serial killers, and then I saw that you posted this. And it was quite the coincidence. Except that now I think we need to have a real talk about this. Not because I think you're crazy, but because I want to know why. And now I am way curious about it.

Drew said...

And also...I think you should do the Top 10 songs on your iPod. And you should list how many times you have listened to them. Because that always says a lot about people too. And, if you do it. I'll do it. Except I don't know how exciting mine will be.

gigi said...

You got the library job! Props to you.
Let's please talk about voodoo and paganism sometime! Have you ever seen the PBS documentary about bog bodies? It's grand.
Edward Cullen sucks eggs. So does his lame-o-to-the-max girlfriend/freak-wife Bella.
Amen.

Chels said...

You don't stalk my blog. I'm so hurt. Also I love you and your random obsessions.

lexio said...

"fascination with the abomination"
haha. I remember that well. good ol' days of Heart of Darkness. :) I cannot tell you how happy I am that you got a job after talking about serial killers during the interview. There may be hope for my professional life yet.

Alexandra Sandvik said...

Camille I am so thrilled you found me in the blogosphere! Let me just tell you that I use the word "weird" with the highest regard, and that "normal" is just uninteresting. So keep the creepiness coming!