4.27.2010

For the Kid in Me: Percy Jackson and the Olympians

Last summer I read all five Percy Jackson books by Rick Riorden. I inhaled them. They're fast-paced and simple--the type of books you read purely for plot.
Percy Jackson is a young teenage boy who is actually the son of Poseidon. He goes on quests to destroy the evil forces of mythology and to learn more about his heritage. Percy does it all. He's the type of boy every seventh grade girl falls in love with. I know when I was that age, I was just waiting for a dashing prepubescent lad to slay a minotaur and sweep me off my feet.

My favorite was book four: The Battle of the Labyrinth. Once you read the series (or at least the first book, The Lightning Thief) I suggest seeing the movie which came out in February. Come to think of it, I saw it for a Valentine's date. How romantic! The movie was super cheesy but entertaining, and Uma Thurman as Medusa was enticingly horrifying (if that's even possible).
Good:
  • The books are super entertaining. Just remember they are written for a younger audience.
  • The film is entertaining as well. Good effects, good music.
Bad:
  • The language in the books is sometimes a little too simple, like doing a homework assignment that is insultingly easy.
  • One of the characters *cough*Annabeth*cough* makes me want to vomit. I hate her.
  • I was so excited to see the film because I loved the books so much. When I found myself in the theater practically gagging from the cheesiness oozing off the screen, I remembered that the books were written for children. Ooops.
  • Of course the story was adapted for the screenplay, and, of course, the adaptation was worse than the book.
Rating:
Books: 3.8 stars





Movie: 3 stars


No comments: