12.01.2009

stay close, don't go

Before I came to Paris I didn't do any research on what I should see. I didn't read any guide books, didn't talk to anyone who's been there, and I didn't even do any internet research. I decided that if I had plans to see too much, I would be disappointed if I didn't see all of it.
Instead, I decided on one single thing that I wanted to see. I figured that of all the things to do in Paris, what I wanted to see the most was the catacombs.

FOILED.
I am destined to never see the catacombs.
My plans were thwarted.
Due to acts of vandalism, the Paris catacombs are closed. Indefinitely.

WHY, CRUEL WORLD?

Just last week I went to Rome with some other girls. A ray of hope shined through the darkness! I discovered there were catacombs in Rome! Emma and I made a trek to the outskirts of Rome to see them.

FOILED.
Alas, the address we had was either
a) incorrect, or
b) nonexistent.

I was furious. The most annoying part of the story is the fact that we could see the tops of the catacomb ruins peeking through the ground.
So close, yet so far.

4 comments:

Kayla said...

No freakin' way. I can't believe those are closed! That was my favorite part of Paris...besides mouffetarde. I am so ticked for you right now.

lexio said...

OH NO!!!!
This makes me very sad. I went to see the catacombs because you suggested it!
they did have to search our bags when we came out though because they said a lot of people tried stealing bones.
I can't believe this terrible news.
:(

gigi said...

Sad! Now I'm depressed.

But don't fear...we will find some catacombs to go to when we go on our trip to Europe together.

p.s. I didn't even know Rome had catacombs.

prever--it's what people with colds prefer

Chase said...

Indiana Jones taught me that there are also catacombs in Venice. I know it's too late, but next time you go to Europe you can check there. Watch out for the rats, though....